Summer is here, and it is a good time for more than just sunshine and beach days, although we do love those things, it is a time to implement healthy habits. Here are some healthy habits to improve your health not just this summer but forever.
- Drink more water. It is so important for our bodies to get enough water. You should consume anywhere from 9 to 13 cups of water each day. Closer to 9 for woman and closer to 13 for men. More if you are working out or especially during the summer heat. It will help energize you on those tired days.
- Try new fruits and veggies. This summer so many fruits and vegetables are in season like; apricots, avocados, berries, green beans, mangos, spinach, and cucumbers. Strawberries, tomatoes, and cantaloupe can help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. As well as dark green leafy vegetables, yellow and orange fruits and vegetable, as well as red fruits and vegetables.
- Spend at least 20 minutes outside daily. Try eating lunch outdoors or instead of that afternoon coffee take a 10 minute walk outside and it will increase energy.
- Plan a trip away that involves some sort of active activity. Enjoy your vacation days this summer but make sure to squeeze in a hike, kayaking or canoeing, or bike ride on a nearby trail or somewhere new and bring a friend or the whole family. Just make sure you get out and enjoy the sunshine.
- Try out and stick to a workout class. Whether it is CrossFit, yoga, Pilates, spin class, or just a routine work out at the gym. Make a schedule for it and stick to it. Before no time you won’t even realize you had planned it all out. Just don’t forget to hydrate!
- Have fun with it! Make this summer your most active summer. Go play that game of tennis with your friends you have been pushing off since last summer. You won’t regret the time spent being active or the company of your friends who you haven’t seen in a while.
Summer is a time to enjoy the sun and relax, but also improve your health. By staying active, social and healthy your summer will be unforgettable. Just don’t forget to make it fun and this will be the best summer yet!