At AMS Cardiology, we are committed to providing top-notch interventional cardiology services to patients throughout Abington and Montgomery County, PA. Our team of experienced cardiologists specializes in a wide range of cardiac procedures including heart catheterization, balloon angioplasty, PFO closure and more. We are dedicated to improving the heart health of our patients through advanced techniques and compassionate care.
Interventional Cardiology: What You Need to Know
Interventional cardiology is a subspecialty of cardiology that focuses on diagnosing and treating cardiovascular diseases through minimally invasive procedures. These procedures often involve the use of catheters which are thin flexible tubes to access the heart and blood vessels.
What Is Heart Catheterization?
Heart catheterization also known as cardiac catheterization is a common interventional cardiology procedure. It involves inserting a catheter into a blood vessel, usually in the groin or wrist, and threading it up to the heart. This procedure allows our cardiologists to:
- Diagnose Heart Conditions: By injecting contrast dye through the catheter we can obtain detailed X-ray images (angiograms) of the coronary arteries. This helps us identify blockages, narrowings or other abnormalities in the blood vessels supplying the heart.
- Measure Blood Pressure: Catheterization can also measure the pressure within the heart’s chambers and blood vessels. This information is crucial for diagnosing conditions like hypertension or heart valve problems.
- Perform Interventions: If a blockage is identified during the procedure, our skilled cardiologists can perform interventions like balloon angioplasty or stent placement to restore blood flow to the heart. Balloon angioplasty is a procedure in which a small balloon is inflated within a narrowed artery to widen it and improve blood flow.
The Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
The cardiac catheterization procedure is typically performed in a specialized cardiac cath lab. Here’s an overview of what you can expect:
- Preparation: You will be given instructions on fasting before the procedure. An intravenous line will be placed to administer medications and fluids.
- Local Anesthesia: The area where the catheter will be inserted (usually the groin or wrist) will be numbed with a local anesthetic.
- Catheter Insertion: The cardiologist will insert the catheter into the blood vessel and guide it to the heart under X-ray guidance.
- Imaging: Contrast dye will be injected through the catheter and X-ray images will be taken to visualize the heart and blood vessels.
- Intervention: If necessary, interventions such as balloon angioplasty or stent placement will be performed.
- Recovery: After the procedure, you’ll be monitored shortly in a recovery area. Most patients can go home the same day.
Why Choose AMS Cardiology?
At AMS Cardiology, we take pride in our patient-centered approach to care. Here’s why you should choose us for your interventional cardiology needs:
- Expertise: Our team of cardiologists has years of experience in interventional cardiology and stays up-to-date with the latest advancements in the field.
- Personalized Care: We understand that each patient is unique and we tailor our treatment plans to your specific needs.
- Cutting-Edge Technology: We have state-of-the-art facilities and equipment to ensure accurate diagnoses and effective treatments.
- Compassion: Your well-being is our top priority and we are committed to providing compassionate care throughout your journey with us.
If you or a loved one needs interventional cardiology services, AMS Cardiology is here to help. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards a healthier heart.